Thursday, August 25, 2011

Shake, Rattle & Roll with it!!

Well a very happy Thursday to all of you!  The weekend is almost here—yay!  Well unless you live under a rock (LOL) you know that the East Coast had a major earthquake on Tuesday afternoon.  We are SO NOT used to these things first of all and where I live is about 70 miles from the epicenter of where it occurred so it was LOUD and SCARY—took about 10 years off my life for sure!!  I was sitting in my chair working on my laptop and Alexa was on couch watching tv (Riley was upstairs in his room)---the dogs had been barking and acting as though it was going to thunderstorm which was strange since it was sunny & blue skies outside.  They were driving me CRAZY!!  Then it sounded like a freight train and the rumbling started.  I kid you not my walls were shaking and rolling and I really thought the ceiling (we have a 2 story family room and stone fireplace) was going to topple on top of us.  I think my heart mighta stopped at that point and Alexa and I were just staring at each other with our mouths open.  Then I screamed “WTF” (yes I have a truck driver’s mouth when the moment calls for it, I never said I was a saint, and yes an earthquake is a VERY appropriate moment for those words lol) and Alexa flew off the couch for the basement.  Riley came running out of his room and at that moment I knew it was either an earthquake or a bomb had just gone off (when you live this close to DC and have lived thru 9/11 those thoughts quickly go thru your mind about bombs & terrorists).  I told them to get outside, grabbed the dogs, my cell phone & laptop.  My whole neighborhood was outside wondering what the heck happened.  I finally got a hold of my hubby who was evacuating his building in DC and I could tell he was FREAKED OUT TOO—he thought his building was going to collapse for sure.  Now remember our buildings in the east were not built to withstand earthquakes and a lot of our buildings are OLD, historically old so they cannot handle these things. There has been a lot of damage to buildings and the Washington Monument is closed indefinitely due to cracks in it.  Now what do I say to those on the West Coast that are mocking us here in the East—not much that’s for sure!  Anyone who makes fun of others traumatic experiences isn’t worth wasting my breath on that’s what I think.  We should be supporting each other instead of making fun---let a West Coast person come experience a Category 5 Hurricane and see what they do?  That’s all I’m saying Winking smile And yes we now have to contend with a hurricane coming into our area on Saturday night---but at least those I’m used to and I can handle that and we will be prepared. Thanks to everyone who sent me hundreds of texts, emails and facebook messages—I appreciate your concern for me and my family, thank you so much!

Now as for me and my family we are off to Baltimore, MD for a few days for a quick family vacation before school starts on Monday.  Tonight we are headed to the Redskins vs. Ravens football game (yep the Dean’s are HUGE football and hockey fans).  Now Alexa is a Ravens fan but the rest of us are Redskins fans so it should be an interesting night, LOL!  Then we are headed to the zoo on Friday and then the Aquarium and Inner Harbor on Saturday—we love it up there so it should be fun.  We will be home Saturday evening in time to prepare for the incoming hurricane and then school starts on Monday and back to the real world ‘eh!  So hope you have a fabulous weekend wherever you may be or whatever you are doing!

NewsBitz:

-SCACD is having a fabulous mini-release of Fall Floral Fairies—they are beauties and will be released on Friday (8/26)!!  See the store blog here for more details!  Check out all the NEW yummy 6x6 holiday paper pads here too! 

Also coming in September Sylvia Zet for SCACD stamps--they are absolutely adorable!  Head to the store blog for details on blog candy (see sneak peek in blinkie below--cute 'eh)!!


-Are you close to Wilmington,DE? Want to take some Copic classes with me? Sept 10th I will be there teaching---see more details at www.cmcroad.com !  Also Ohio & Kansas City (San Diego, San Jose, & Chicago will be up next week)

**********************************************************

TouchDown!!!

P1110883_edited-1

Today I’m sharing a fun “just because” project with you all and to kick off Fall Football! The Dean’s are HUGE football fans and it’s the best part about fall I think LOL (we are both Redskins & Ravens fans—read above lol).   So when I saw this super cute image from the Stamp Fairy I HAD TO HAVE IT—he’s called “Tommy Sports” and there are a few in the collection!  If you haven’t stopped by my sweet friend Gerda’s digi store to see her adorable characters you need to RUN NOW—they are just irresistible!! This one reminds me of my son when he was MUCH smaller LOL!

I'm entering this cutie-pie into the following challenges:

Tuesday Throwdown (dimension/texture)
Cards for Men (anything goes)


P1110879_edited-1

I used a mix of papers/patterns from two of My Minds Eye’s “Lime Twist” paper pads (Out of the Blue & Go Fly a Kite—both 20% off here).  I wanted both fall and Redskins colors hee hee.  I used my Zutter Distress Tool to distress my paper edges and inked them.  The stars were made with my SU punches, the circle elements I did with my Spellbinders (pinking circles and reg circles) and they stand up a bit from the card which is cool.  The sentiment is from a Paper Trey Ink set and then I just cut it out in a banner shape and bent it around a pencil so it would be curvy.  Twine and buttons finish it all off.

P1110880_edited-1

Awww isn’t he a cutie-pie? He’s from the Stamp Fairy’s “Tommy Sports” Collection HERE!  He’s colored with Copics E08,E07,E13,E11,E00 / E37,E35,YR20 / YR23,Y23,Y21 / E25,E50/ YG67,YG03,G20.  I added Diamond Glaze to his helmet and shoes.  AND YES there are stickles on this card, LOL (wouldn’t be a Suzanne card w/o stickles right?)—I added them to the helmet’s face mask and the star cut-outs.

P1110885_edited-1

See you back here on Sunday!!  I’ll announce the Blog Candy’s winner then as well!  Happy Weekend to you all!


22 comments:

  1. Girl! Your card is really adorable, but wowowow on the earthquake!! Just reading your post made me get scared! Since I'm in Texas we experience hurricanes a lot too, but we have warning, earthquakes seem soooo scary since you don't get that warning. I'm glad you and your family are safe. Hugs and I hope the hurricane doesn't do much damage!
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,
    Glad you are safe. I know how scary it is. We had a smaller earthquake here in Indiana and we were 15 miles from the epicenter. You are right it is very scary when especially when buildings are not built to withstand them, nor do you have the skills to know what to do. Please take care of yourself during the hurricane and let us know you are safe. You are in my prayers. http://visionsofpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous as always! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is stunning! Sorry about the earthquake. I have to be honest: it's hard for this California girl (who has lived here since I was 4 and added 51 years to that - ugh!) not to smile when hearing the experiences of east coast folks. When the earth starts to me here, we kinda go -"oh, another earthquake." However, being honest again - a hurricane or tornado would scare the pants off of me. (Okay, your turn to smile.) Thanks for sharing your talents and your experiences with us. We crafters need to stick together!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome creation Suzanne! love this image, d/p, embellish and color combo is beautiful. TFS, Zulma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is just darling, Suzanne! Yeah football season, and let's be sensible fans.......

    As for what you and your family went through, I'm so glad you are all safe and no damage was done to your house. Being from CA, we are used to the "little buggers", however, I would never discount someone's experience, because if you are not used to them, they can be very scary and do so much damage, not to mention personal loss. Mother Nature is not to be taken lightly.... My son lives in Taiwan where they also have frequent and very strong earthquakes. Being a small island, they do a lot of damage there as well, so I have respect for nature and what can happen.......
    I hope my east coast friends will stay safe over the next few days and weeks with all that is going on back there. Many good thoughts and love are being sent your way......

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is adorable. Your beautiful coloring just makes the card stand out all over. Love it. So glad you aren't hurt any worse than the knot on the head..take care of yourselves and have fun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne, this is a stunning card, beautiful design and love the little flag, thanks for joining us at pollycraft. Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are safe from the earthquake and stay safe from the Hurricane. Although, I hope you're not cutting it close with your travel plans. If there's a lot of evacuating, you might night make it back in time. Speaking from someone who's lived in Florida my whole life! It took me about 6 hours to drive the normal 3 hours to Orlando to escape Hurricane Andrew!! Then there was no gas in South Florida when we returned (the gas stations didn't have power!
    Stay safe!!
    ~Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you are safe and well and hoping you all stay that way in the coming days - I just saw your storm on the news here in Australia and it looks huge!!!!! As always I love the way you handle things and your little Suzanneism's. Mind you I am still giggling over the fly in the coke post. Take care x joy
    ps love the card as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is so cute! Have a fabulous time in Baltimore! I love the Inner Harbor area! Hope the hurricane stays away from you this weekend. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you & your family are safe! Your card is tooo adorable! I love that little boy and your coloring of him rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very fun card with the great layers and sweet little image. Thanks for sharing with us at TT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes! Glad you are all OK!
    Really sweet card. Enjoy your mini-holiday and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Suzanne how scary
    You and your family enjoy your weekend and just try to relax.
    Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear your and yours are OK. We in upstate NY felt it,too. My husband slept through it. Nothing disturbs his afternoon power nap. My daughter said she felt dizzy and thought it was because she hadn't eaten. My son felt it at work, and my daughter-in-law and granddaughter were too busy playing to feel it. Thank goodness.
    Well, enjoy your vacation and football game. Be safe. We'll all be thinking of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  17. your card is wonderful. The earhtquake must have been very scarey, hope you all stay safe when Irene hits x

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous job with the coloring Suzanne and an adorable image! I also think your photography is stellar!
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello,
    a great card! Thank you for showing!
    Sabina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this is just adorable and done in an awesome way. I love it!

    My hubby and I are huge football fans, too. And, from the South...Roll Tide, Bama!!! :-)We're anxiously awaiting to go to the games this Fall.
    Been through a couple of those earthquakes, too. Nothing too major, though.
    Thanks so much for playing with Tuesday Throwown this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your card is STUNNING!!! As always your coloring is fantastic. I'm so glad you entered your card in Cards for Men Challenge. Good luck on the challenge.
    Hugz, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Om word Suzanne~~that is sooo scary--an earthquake!!
    Sooo very glad you are allll ok!!! As for this weekend...hope you are safe once again. My BIL was over last nite and he was talking to a friend in Connecticut who needed to talk while awaiting hurricane to hit. He is going to talk with her today to check on the situation.
    Your card is very very cute!!! Embellishments are so adorable with Tommy.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your lovely comments and taking the time to stop by! hugz,Suzanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover